What is the penalty for unemployment fraud? 1 Answers as of April 07, 2011

I committed unemployment fraud using shared work program. What are the penalties for this? I was fired from my job but have a new one and don't want to lose it by going to jail. Can I setup a payment plan and avoid jail?

That is a difficult question to answer without knowing what your record looks like. If this is a first offence, you may be eligible to go through diversion. If your criminal history is minor, you might be able to plead guilty and avoid jail time. Worst case you would be looking at 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine plus restitution. Worse case is unlikely to occur. In all probability, you would be looking at minimal jail time and big fines. At any rate, if your county has work release, you would be allowed to leave jail and go to work. You would have to return to the jail at the end of your work day. If you have any questions, I invite you to call me and I can probably give you a more-accurate picture of what you are facing.