What is the penalty for being caught with drug possession? 2 Answers as of July 28, 2011

I got pulled over and they asked me if they could search the car. I had in my possession 23 xanax. This is the first time this ever happen to me. I am also on ssi because I had 6 discs remove from my back and I took the pills from my mom with out her knowing about it?

Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You need a lawyer. You could lose your SSI if you are convicted. You may have an addiction that could help in your defense.
Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
It depends on what your charges are. Were you charged with simple possession only? That charge would carry a possible maximum sentence of five years as charging a third degree crime. Are you charged with possesion of the pills with the intent to distribute same? That would be a more serious charge. Why were you using pills without a prescription if you had paid as a consequence of a personal injury?