What penalties am I looking to face if I was charged with shoplifting? 14 Answers as of April 23, 2013

I got caught shoplifting and the total amount was $219.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
12 months on probation, fine and community service.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/23/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Maximum penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting (under $500) in Missouri is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 4/23/2013
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Shoplifting is a misdemeanor petty theft for the amount that you stole. A misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in county and/or a $1,000.00 fine. Most first time shoplifting charges result in a summary probation, a fine, restitution to the store, stay away order, community service, and court costs.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2013
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
This is called 2nd degree Retail Fraud which carries a penalty of a maximum of 93 days in jail but a minimum of 0 days. You will probably get a sentence of probation with conditions to perform to the probation department's satisfaction .
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/18/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and get you the best deal possible.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2013
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
    The amount taken makes the crime in Colorado a misdemeanor. Although you may face some jail time, depending on the jurisdiction that you are in and a lack of record, you may be eligible for a deferred sentence without any jail time. In addition to jail, you could receive fines, fees, community service hours and possibly classes as terms and conditions of probation.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 4/18/2013
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    Well you should NOT plead guilty. If you plead guilty then you lose all bargaining power. The penalties usually are not severe. It is the record that you will get that is the problem. What employer wants to hire a thief? Maybe a lawyer can get it so you end up with no record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/18/2013
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    For a conviction you are looking at jail, fine and some period of probation. In a lot of these cases we can help you avoid a conviction and have the matter resolved off your record. We offer a free initial consultation to talk about the matter and will show you how we can help. You must call at 402-455-1711 to set up a time to talk about the matter. While, we have been in business for almost 25 years, we know what we are doing. We fight hard to represent your rights and defend our great constitution from abuse.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    A lot depends on your record. This would be a felony in Virginia
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    In Maryland you face up to 18 months imprisonment. Ultimately sentencing depends on whether you are found guilty, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    If one did not pass the point of purchase which usually means the check out point it is a criminal conversion which is a class A misdemeanor. This carries a possible penalty of 0-365 days in jail along with fines, costs and probation with conditions. If one passes the point of purchase (as described above) it could be charged as a theft which is a class D felony. This could result in 6 mos to 3 years in the Doc along with fines and costs. It may be suspended depending on ones prior criminal history and again depending on ones record, it may be eligible or subject to the alternative misdemeanor statute which would it bring down to a class A misdemeanor rather than a felony. This of course is only a overview and without any further facts provided it would be difficult to apply this to any one specific situation.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea that you will regret for life.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Assuming this is your first offense, you likely will be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further law violations, and be on probation for one year. You should try to get a Stipulated Order of Continuance so that after you have completed all of the sentence requirements the charge goes away. Otherwise, you will need to expunge your record afterwards.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/17/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney and do everything you can to minimize your damages and keep this off of you permanent record, it is not the current problems this will cause, but the future ones.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/17/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney