What patent procedures will a lawyer pursue for me? 2 Answers as of August 16, 2010

I have never developed a product or patented anything in my life so this is my first time. I want to do research and development for my idea in the right way. Do patent lawyers usually guide people through the whole process? Do they usually do the research, patenting, and marketing steps? Thank you!

There are companies advertising all the time that claim they will help develop, protect IP, and market your ideas. Check out as many as it takes for you to determine whether any are honest and useful to you. Do not be tempted to pay any of them to do so. That is a good sign you are going to be ripped off. If your idea is good, a company should be willing to do their work for a share in the product. I do not know any I can recommend, Buyer beware.

Patent lawyers are generally different, they are paid [$$] for their time in doing the work in protecting your idea, but they do not generally market it. I believe you will spend at least several thousand dollars minimum. If the idea is good enough for you to invest money, then check them out. I could refer you to some.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
A patent attorney typically will only help you with the patenting process, but he will likely provide limited advice on how to record your research properly and how to best market your invention.