What papers do I need to file in my divorce? 4 Answers as of April 27, 2011

What additional papers do I need to file to get my divorce in California? My ex did not file a response and my divorce is supposed to be final next month in May and I do not want anything to slow that process down. We have agreed on everything, he just didn't have the money. Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Apicella
Michael Apicella | Apicella Law and Mediation
It's hard to answer your question about "what additional papers" you need to file, without knowing what has already been filed.

E.g., have you filed the Proof of Service of Summons (form FL-115)? How about Declaration Regarding Service of Declaration of Disclosure (FL-141)? Have you exchanged preliminary disclosures? It sounds like you can proceed by default with agreement (you said you and your spouse have reached agreements on all terms). Have you drafted a Marital Settlement Agreement or Stipulated Judgment?

If not, you need to have that done. I'd suggest contacting the legal self help center at the county court where your case is pending. They can help you with the paperwork requirements. Or, call a local family law lawyer to discuss the status of your case, what terms you and your spouse want as part of the default, and get instructions on what documents still need to be filed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
You can go to the court to get a "default package" that will have self help directions for you. Also you can read my books, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY and A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY, available online and as an E-Book on my website.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
He needs to file his response and pay the $395 fee or you could proceed with a default. You can also pay for his appearance fee if he is stalling the divorce. Small price to pay.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: