What paper work do I have to fill out to get custody of my daughter? 16 Answers as of May 23, 2013

I am trying to get full custody of my 14-year-old daughter because her mother is not treating her right; my daughter wants me to get full custody so she no longer has to go to her mother's house. I was wondering what paper work I have to fill out before I go to court if any. If you could please reply asap that would be great! Thank you!

Unless your mother is willing to give up custody, you're in for a battle. I would have to know a great deal more to determine whether or not there is a change in circumstances as which warrant or change in custody. You should engage in attorney prior to the time you attempt any actions.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
A motion for modification must be filed with the court. You must have good cause.
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
If you have a court ordered parenting time now, you file for a modification of custody in that case. If there is no case, you have to establish your paternity in court and then seek custody.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
File a Request for Order and also request to go to mediation.
What do you believe the phrase full custody is, or means. I suggest you do some research as to custody and placement. First of all you are looking to change placement, and that does not have anything to do with visitation issues. If your daughter wants to live with you file motions for change of placement, if you prevail on that issue I am sure that if your daughter does not wish to visit then at that point the court will most likely listen to her, even Judges were teenagers once.
    Rubin Law Firm
    Rubin Law Firm | Mark Scott Rubin
    Information is needed on the Father and where he stands in this. With consent of both parents, you can do a grandparent adoption. Or less complicated, you can file for temporary custody of a minor child under Chapter 751, Florida Statutes.
    Shawn Owen | Shawn Owen
    You will need to file to have her legitimated; then file for custody. It's a fairly complex process, so you should definitely contact an attorney.
    You must file a motion to modify the existing custody order. In order to have a change you must provide the court with facts to support a finding that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that would give rise to the change you are requesting. Since your daughter is 14, the judge may take her preferences into account, but does not have to. You will have to have your wife served with the motion and a summons. She will have 20 days to respond.
    If there was a prior Divorce or Paternity Judgment (or case), you would file a FL-300 Request for Order, but you would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you, including the preparation of the Request for Order and its Declaration.? If there was no prior Divorce or Paternity case, one must first be filed in which the FL-300 would be filed.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    Petition for modification of custody
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Follow this link to the court's forms. Click on the one for custody. http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/forms/domrellist.html
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
    You do not disclose whether there is an existing Parenting Plan or Custody Order. Assuming such an order is now in place, in Washington state, you must file a Petition of Modification of Parenting Plan. There are specific pleading forms that must be used, some rigid legal criteria that must be applied, and court procedures to properly get this ion from of a judge. It is very difficult to do without an attorney; but you can get started by doing a Google search re the forms and procedure.
    Kingloff & Travis | William K Travis
    A change of custody case requires the filing of a new lawsuit in the superior court entitled "Petition for Modification of Custody." You need to file a petition and have your former wife served with the papers. You will also need to prepare a parenting plan order, a child support worksheet, a financial affidavit, and an affidavit from the child stating that she is over 14 years old and wants to live with you. The court will likely accept what you are trying to do but this is no longer automatic. The court may also require that you and the child's mother retain a guardian ad litem (and this will be an expense) and attend the parenting seminar for your court circuit. If the two of you are not in agreement that custody be changed then the court may require that you mediate the matter. Remember that if custody is changed then child support will probably be changed as well, including (but not necessarily) a provision concerning healthcare expenses for the child and healthcare insurance.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    Hire a lawyer to file the proper motion and present your case to the court.
    SHAPIRO LAW GROUP | ERIC L. SHAPIRO
    If this is a Georgia case, you would need an affidavit of election on your daughters part to be filed with a petition to change custody.
    DEHNADI & CONLEY, LLP
    DEHNADI & CONLEY, LLP | Ted Conley
    If you have an existing law suit, you would need to file an Order to Show Cause re Custody.