What other option is available to petition my parents? 5 Answers as of April 06, 2015

I would like to petition for my parents who overstayed visitor visa from 1989. They lost their entry documents and passport therefore we have no proof of legal entry. We have requested records through FOIA, and Visa services with all saying no records found.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Tough luck. You have to be able to prove legal entry somehow.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/6/2015
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You should try to locate alternate entry documents if possible, affidavits, etc. How and when did they lose their passports and entry documents?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/6/2015
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
There are no other viable options. Your parents are deportable as unlawfully present and inadmissible for 10 years. In other words, even with your petitions for them approved, they have to leave the U.S. and cannot come back for 10 years - unless they can prove that they entered the U.S. with visas, legally. If you filed FOIA requests with USCIS and received "no records" answer, you should make FOIA inquiry with the Customs & Border Protection ( https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate ) If that, too, fails, you will need an immigration attorney who will take your parents' case all the way through USCIS and Immigration Court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/2/2015
Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
Try filing a form I-102 or requesting documents through a FOIA from the State Department.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/1/2015
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
File an I-102 before you give up : ).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2015
Click to View More Answers: