What options does my father have if he owed well over $20,000 plus month rent? 1 Answers as of February 14, 2017

My father worked on a house several years ago with another person. Now, father worked on this house essentially 90% on his own, including paying for all the materials and supplies necessary. However, my father was not wise at all and had the other person sign the name on the house at the time. So any bills that would come, we're talking Gas, Electricity and etc. would all be on the other person’s name. Now, when time would come to pay for these things, my father would pay for all of them on his name. My father has kept all the receipts. He managed to save with him as some type of evidence. Now, although there's no name of his on the house, the only physical proof he has is when he would use his credit card to purchase higher priced materials for the house. The other person never compensated him for any of things bought. Now, once the house was sold for rent, the other person promised my father to pay him a portion of what the total rent would be at the end the month and he never did. It's been about 8 years now. I was told that there's a Statute of Limitations that might be helpful.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
Contracts not wholly in writing are governed by a 5-year statute. However, the facts provided are not sufficient to determine when it started running, if any exceptions apply, etc. You need to consult an attorney and have him or her review the documents and facts immediately.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/14/2017
Click to View More Answers: