What options do I have if the Father is incapable of properly caring for my 3 year old? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I have sole custody of my 3-year-old daughter. Her "father" gets her every other weekend and 6 weeks in the summer. When she left for his house for the two-week visit she was completely potty trained, now that she is home she refuses to even try. While she is down there, she is left home alone with her 13, 11 and 6 year old siblings. The 13 year old has many mental things that would keep her from being able to make good choices. They are home alone for at least 9 hours a day. I was also just informed that he doesn't have sleeping room for all the kids. He has a two-bedroom house where all 4 kids sleep in the same full size bed. Last time I was in that house, it smelled horrible of dog pee and feces as well as a really bad mold smell. He doesn't want to cooperate; if I try to help him he will deliberately do the opposite. Do I have any options to try to keep my daughter from going there? Laws are weird, cause we live in North Dakota and he lives in Minnesota.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Parenting rights are deemed to important and fundamental. As a result, seeking a significant restriction on parenting time requires substantial proof that some endangerment is occurring. The fact that the child was potty trained and returns havimng accidents could be the result of any number of things including the stress of being shifted between different homes. Children often have set backs in developent after parenting exchanges. To have any viable case, you would likely require the assistance of a child psychologist who opines that the child's difficulties are likely a result of trauma or some type of endangerment in the other parent's household.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 7/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: