What is the next step after a patent search? How? 3 Answers as of August 24, 2015

I contacted a company to do all the research about my invention. My idea has not yet been developed but the research is complete and now it is time for an actual patent? How would I go about getting a patent for my idea without using the company's further assistance?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Eminent IP, P.C.
Eminent IP, P.C. | Paul C. Oestreich
If you have a reliable patent search in hand, you may wish to have a patent attorney render a novelty opinion. The opinion will give you some visibility as to how patentable the invention is in view of the prior art you have found. Alternatively, and assuming you are already comfortable with the patentability of your invention, you should file a patent application at your earliest opportunity. The least expensive and quickest route is to file a provisional patent application. But, you can also file a regular utility application or international patent application if you prefer. From the wording of your question, it would appear that you may have engaged the services of an invention submission company. They tend to want to give you all kinds of useless advice about marketing your invention, and bringing it to market. Those sorts of companies tend to be weak in their patent searches because if they find something that anticipates your invention, it will cut off their future income stream from you. Our firm can review your search results against a description of your invention and give you an opinion on patentability also known as a novelty opinion. We would be happy to quote you cost estimates and advise you of your options if you are interested with no obligation. As always, you should always consult with a registered patent attorney to explore all of your options in protecting your intellectual property based on you unique factual scenario and invention.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/24/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
After a patent search, if you believe that the invention is unique from the search then the next step would be to have a patent application prepared and filed. For the patent without using "the company" you can get a book on patenting from a library or book store, or you can hire an intellectual property law firm to prepare and file the patent application.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/24/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
It depends on what (if any) contract you signed with the research company. Did you agree that they could write and file your patent application? If yes - then you continue to work with them. Note - beware of a company that wants to file ONLY a design application. Otherwise, hire a patent attorney to write, file and prosecute your patent application. Depending upon the nature of the invention and the type of filing (provisional vs. regular utility) your cost could go up to $10,000.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/24/2015
Click to View More Answers: