What is the next step after a patent search? 8 Answers as of August 13, 2011

I contacted a company to do all the research about my invention. My idea has not yet been developed but the research is complete and now it is time for an actual patent? How would i go about getting a patent for my idea without using the company's further assistance?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Once you have completed the search and believe the invention would qualify for patent protection, I would suggest contacting a Patent Attorney to discuss with you the different types of patents and the associated fees.
Edam Law PLLC
Edam Law PLLC | Edmar Mauricio Amaya
The next thing you have to do is to have drawings made. Once the drawings are made the patent drafting process can begin. Usually a set of patent drawings cost about $400-$800 depending on the complexity of the invention. The patent application cost about $4000-$7000 again depending on the complexity of the invention. I usually begin with a $1500 retainer fee. A patent application takes about 2-3 weeks depending on how many revisions and approvals by the inventor. You can call me at any time for a free consultation. Thanks
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Hire an intellectual property lawyer. You cannot do this on your own
Durgin Law, LLC
Durgin Law, LLC | Pearl Hsieh
Apply for a provisional application. You will need to tweak it later but that will give you the date so that nobody else can beat you. You will need the assistance of a patent attorney to correct and complete the application.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Hire an attorney or buy "Patent it Yourself" by Nolo Press.
    DANIEL NESBITT
    DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
    There are some invention protection services, such as Invent, available.
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
    Although an inventor can draft and file a patent application for his/her invention, it's not recommended because the document is quite complex. As such, if cost is an issue which usually is with most individual inventors you can contact a patent agent as opposed to a patent attorney to draft and file the application for you. It is the quality of the document that sets the price. A patent attorney whose fees are considerably higher than a patent agent can draft a much better quality patent application.
    Young Basile
    Young Basile | Denise Glassmeyer
    The next step would be to determine who will be preparing the patent application. Though an inventor is permitted to the represent themselves before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, I recommend retaining a registered patent attorney. Since the value of a patent is in the claims, you can work with your patent attorney to determine proper invention scope and the nature of the claimed subject matter. You can also discuss patenting strategy - should you file a provisional application or a utility application? Should you be considering foreign patent protections? How best to seek and obtain such protection? US patent law is federal in nature so you can feel free to hire a patent attorney in a state different than the one in which you reside if you find one who suits you. Many inventors choose to work with a local patent attorney for convenience. To find patent attorneys near you, you can use various on line search engines. You can also consult the USPTO website (www.USPTO.gov) for a list of all registered patent attorneys and agents. Also, don't forget your state and local bar associations. Most have attorney referral services. When you do talk to an attorney, do ask for cost estimates for the work you want to have done. Make sure both of you are clear on the scope of the work you want done and you understand key dates and the estimated time to obtaining a patent. Also remember confidentiality. I ask that potential clients not divulge any confidential information until after they have officially retain my services to ensure that we have preserved confidentiality and attorney client privilege. Have fun. Most patent attorneys really love what they do and that can make whole the process really enjoyable.