What is next step after filing I-130 petition? 3 Answers as of May 29, 2013

My husband, a lawful permanent resident is trying to get a F2A visa for me. He filled I-130 form and G325 form already and sent to the office. I just want to know if will they give any approval letter after receiving these forms? If yes, how long will it take to get?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
It may take some months to get the I-130 approved. However, even if it is, there is currently about a 2-3 year backlog for spouses of permanent residents to qualify for a visa so until a visa number is available you will not be eligible to receive an immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/29/2013
Hakim, Daman & Toma, P.C. | Eman H. Jajonie-Daman
Depending when he mailed it, the national average for I-130 approvals is about 8 months. If the paperwork is missing further information, USCIS will send your husband a request for further evidence. However, an approval does not mean you can adjust your status, because assuming your husband remains a green card holder visa availability for F2a is about 2 years wait, counting from your priority date on your receipt.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/22/2013
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
After filing the I-130 petition, the next thing is for you to wait. Petitions by green card holders for their wives is in the F2 A category and the approximate wait time is about 2 years. For instance, the petitions in that category that is now approved and current were filed in Jun 2011. After the approval, CIS will send the approval notice to your husband. You must then check the Dept of State web site to confirm whether your priority date is current. If current, you proceed to the next step which is consular processing at the US embassy in your country, or if you (wife) is in the US and if you are eligible to adjust, you file I-485 green card.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: