What's the next step after being sued for negligence? 3 Answers as of January 25, 2017

About two years ago, I was in a car accident and the person whose car I hit ended up in the hospital. The car I was driving was my girlfriend’s car, under her mother's name. I was charged with reckless driving and was forced by the courts to pay restitution. Now, a year after the fact I'm being sued for negligence for $25,000. The plaintiff is claiming that I was negligent and is suing me for pain and suffering, mental anguish as a result of his injuries. What is the next step to beating this? I'm 20 years old and this happened when I was 18. I have no assets and barely any money. I cannot afford to pay $25,000. I feel like he is just trying to get money from the deal. Is there any way I can show up to court and dismiss his claims? What are the possible outcomes of this? The plaintiff already has a lawyer and it's hard for me to fully understand because they use such big words. If I could prove that he hasn't lost the ability to live and function in a normal everyday life, would his claims hold up in court? If I have no assets, what could they do to make me pay? If I have no assets, do I even legally have to pay?

Turn the case over to YOUR auto insurance, if you had any at the time, or turn it over to the insurance on the car you were driving. As the permitted driver, you should be covered by that policy. Why, when you were driving someone else's car, did you drive like a jackass? You certainly were not respectful of your girlfriend, or her mother. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
You need to turn this into your insurance company. If you are uninsured, you are screwed and will have to file bankruptcy or hire a lawyer to defend he claim.
Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
First, if the vehicle you were driving was insured, turn the lawsuit over to the insurance company, they will hire a lawyer that will represent you at no cost to you. In all likelihood, your girlfriend's mother has also been sued as the owner of the vehicle, she should be able to tell you if the vehicle as insured, and if so, by which insurance company. The lawyer suing you wants there to be insurance on the car as bad as you do, as you indicate, trying to collect from you is much more difficult than cashing a check from an insurance company. Second, consult with a bankruptcy lawyer to see if you are eligible to file bankruptcy on this lawsuit and any other debts that you may have out there, and take things from there.