What is needed during the RFE (Request For Evidence) for an I-485 visa? 6 Answers as of March 03, 2011

What exactly do they need?

There is no way of knowing without seeing it - could be anything from a clearer photo to a request for a certified court disposition on a criminal matter or a laundry list of things they need answers to from your forms before they can approve you - items they need you to clarify. Once you get the Request for Evidence in the mail contact me and we can help you work through it to address each of their concerns. If you have moved since filing the I-485 be sure to complete an AR-11 online and/or call the Customer Service # with your new address. Check the case status online and if it has been too long since the RFE was supposedly sent, request a duplicate copy through the Customer Service # for USCIS.

I would be happy to consult with you on your case. I do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would be a credit toward the fees for your case if you retain us for further work after the consult. The consultation can be scheduled as indicated below by contacting my secretary, Janet, by phone or at janet@feldmanfeldman.com.
When USCIS send you an RFE, they will tell you what documents they require. Contact my office if you wish us to assist in answering the FRE on your behalf.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
A Request For Evidence means that USCIS is giving you an opportunity to supplement your petition. It means that your original application was not strong enough. Make the most of this opportunity; it is make-or-break time for your residence status.

If your I-485 adjustment of status is based on marriage, then you need to file anything to prove that. The best example is a birth certificate of a child born of the marriage. Also useful: mortgage applications and leases (both spouses signing), utility bills in both names, health insurance enrollment based on the marriage. If you belong to a church, your parish treasurer will send you a statement of your offerings for the year. That tends to show that you participate in your community as a married couple.
First, there is no such thing as an I-485 visa. Form I-485 is an application for adjustment of status that is filed in the U.S. and which the person is interviewed in the U.S. for their legal permanent residency. There is no visa involved. Second, the RFE states what it needed. It is a request by the USCIS to provide documents or answers to their questions.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Read the RFE. It will say exactly what the USCIS is looking for. It could be anything.