What is my penalty for a theft by unlawful taking if it is my first offense? 6 Answers as of January 31, 2014

$600 loss.

Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
Stealing over $500 is a class C felony in Missouri. Up to $5000 fine and up to 7 years in penitentiary.
Eve Oldenkamp, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Eve Oldenkamp
This depends on the County in which the offense occurred and your criminal history. It should be an class A misdemeanor. If your first offense, some counties have programs by which you can pay fees, fines and do public service work and participate in a class and keep it off your record. However, if it is not your first offense, each county has its own policy regarding the length of probation, community service work, fine and jail time that should be imposed.
Instead of worrying about the penalty, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
It depends upon the state you are in (which I dont know). You could be charged with a felony of which max penalty is 5 years or you could be charged with a lesser crime, of which max penalty is one year. In any event, it this is a first offense, with no prior criminal history, you probably wont get any jail time and just a monetary fine. However, you will have a criminal conviction on your record which could be subject to disclosure in employment applications. Not too many employers want to hire someone who is not trustworthy.
This depends on all the circumstances. Was the theft from a person. Was it from a building? How did it go down? You should get a lawyer and NOT talk to the police. Maybe something can be worked out so that you can avoid a conviction for theft on your record. This is huge. A criminal record is PERMANENT. What employer wants to hire a thief?