What's my next step if I got served for a hospital bill that I settled before by giving them the Medicaid card number? 7 Answers as of February 04, 2014

I am being sued about a hospital bill that was not paid for. The bill is for my daughter, who at the time did not have insurance because I applied for Medicaid and it was still in the process of being approved. I got a bill once and called the number to give them the Medicaid card number since they go retro three months. That was the last I've heard about this bill until now. Now that I got served with court papers, I need to know what I should do next. If it's the bill that needs to be paid for, then I can do that. It's just that I haven't heard or received anything before that.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
You need to defend the lawsuit, and in doing so, can learn what happened with the application of your benefits to the bill. Or, you can just pay it (the lawyers for the hospital will surely tell you they know it is owed that doesn't mean anything) before the court date. However, you have to be sure that you do not completely ignore the lawsuit because a judgment will hurt your credit file for a long time.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/4/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Maybe you should contact Medicaid and the hospital to try to resolve this situation. You may be able to negotiate a lower amount that you have to pay as another option.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 2/4/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Retain an attorney to settle the matter. You need to respond to the summons within the timeframe identified!! Failing to do so will result in a default judgment.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/4/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I need all of the details to render an opinion.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/4/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Follow-up with the Medicaid to see if it will cover it and when. If not, then make arrangements to pay over time or however suits your situation.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 2/4/2014
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    The name of the hospital's attorney is on the pleading served on you. Call and tell them your story. You will need to appear in court on the day indicated in the paperwork as well.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 2/4/2014
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    If your daughter had Medicaid and the hospital was informed of that fact, you should not be liable for any amounts which Medicaid would have paid.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: