What is the most economical way for us to get uncontested divorce? How? 8 Answers as of July 01, 2015

My husband and I have been separated for a year (married 18 years). We are very friendly and supportive of each other but just do not function as a married couple. We already have separate bank accounts etc. We have no children, or real estate (except a property left to him in a will that I have no interest in). We are paying on a credit card consolidation in which we left a joint account open so that each of us put our half in every month. I have a 401k that will remain mine and we both wish to leave each other as life insurance beneficiaries. This is agreeable to both of us. What is the most cost efficient way to divorce? Attorney or paralegal? Or an online divorce kit?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
I suggest one of you retains counsel. You can even share the attorney's fees if you desire. Getting a divorce kit on line or at a legal forms store will still cost you money and, if you make a procedural mistake in the order or timing of the documents to be filed, you might have to repeat the process, either in whole or in part.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/1/2015
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
It sounds as if you have it all together. You can probably use just one attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 7/1/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
A paralegal is not permitted to represent clients. Even though your situation sounds uncomplicated, you would likely benefit from consulting an experienced family law attorney: they can prevent many possible pitfalls. You might want the least expensive divorce. If I were your friend I would want you to have the least stressful one.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/1/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
To make certain that the process of dividing property and completing this divorce action is done correctly, one of you should be represented by an attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2015
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
If you want to do it as cheap as possible, go to the self help center at the courthouse for assistance or get the forms yourself online and file them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2015
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    You can find forms online at wisbar.org which can work. I would recommend getting an hour or two if Attorney time to review the paperwork and point out problems
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 7/1/2015
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    Have you considered Mediation? Mediation is fast effective and affordable. The mediator can and should assist you with all the necessary forms so that you can get in the court very quickly and get it over with. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/30/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    One of you engage an attorney, get divorce filed, and the attorney work up the agreement and then have the other spouse take it to another independent attorney for review.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: