What might happen to me if I accidentally sold alcohol to a minor? 9 Answers as of July 11, 2014

I am 18 years old, and I had started working at a gas station. On my third day of the job, it was extremely busy, and I was the only one on the register. With all the chaos, I must have sold alcohol to a minor. It was an honest mistake, and I didn't realize I had done something so foolish, until local police came into the store. The detectives present told me that I was not going to serve any jail time, because it was a mistake, and that the worst that would happen is that I will be given a fine. I have quite the job, because honestly who could make such a stupid mistake on their third day of work. Realistically, what could possibly happen once I'm in court? I am terrified, and I have to go to court soon. Will I serve any jail time? Will my driver's license be taken away?

Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law
Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law | Michael Harris
Hire a lawyer before you go to court. Jail seems unlikely if this is a first offense. The worst long term consequence is having this on your record. If you have had no trouble before, you need someone who can pursue a deal to both avoid conviction and allow for possible sealing of the record.
See if you can get a plea under advisement whenever if you don't do it again then the matter is dismissed.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
The mistake defense only works if you were duped by a fake ID. You could receive 1000.00 in fines. You could also be required to do no less than 24 hours of community service at the coroner's office or a rhea facility. You will only get jail time if the minor was injured after drinking the alcohol.
Law Offices of Steven J. Topazio
Law Offices of Steven J. Topazio | STEVEN J TOPAZIO
You can be charged criminally if you knowingly or intentionally supply, give, or provide to or allow a person under 21 years of age, except for your children or grandchildren, to possess alcoholic beverages on your premises or property. Conviction for this offense carries up to one year in jail and a $2000 fine. Under General Laws ch. 138 section 34 however, the word "furnish" shall mean to knowingly or intentionally supply, give, or provide to or allow a person under 21 years of age to possess alcoholic beverages on premises or property owned or controlled by the person charged. It sounds like you have a defense to the charge if you were unaware that the person you sold alcohol to was underage. Hire a lawyer to represent you.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
I doubt if you will face serous consequences but theoretically you could face fines and jail time. You should hire a lawyer ASAP. Without a lawyer this will be hard for you to deal with.
    You will not serve jail time or have your license taken away. You will have to retake certification to serve alcohol. You will also have to do community service and pay a fine.
    Instead of worrying about the jail time, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Probably just a fine. NJ does have a diversionary program for first offenders. Most attorneys will give you a free initial consult. I would start there.
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    You could be charged with "Sale of Alcohol to Minor" which is a Misdemeanor charge. This could involve Fines; Jail time and potential revocation of your license. You should have an attorney represent you on this matter. An attorney could work to avoid a conviction on your record and possible amendment of the charge.