What's the maximum sentence in a hit and run? 8 Answers as of April 04, 2011

I accidentally hit a car in a parking lot and then left without leaving a note - I do not know how bad it was I did not look but then I discovered a small dent in my car so I think I did damage to the other car. However I thought that there might be cameras in the parking lot if they somehow contact me what is the maximum fine that I can face? I did not even check how much damage there was on the other car.

It is a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail though such a sentence would be unlikely in your case.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Since there was no injury involved, the maximum fine would be $1000 plus a penalty assessment resulting in a total of about $5,000. There also is a possibility of jail time. My advice to you is to not make any statement to the police if they contact you. That is your right. Tell them that you need to discuss it with your lawyer first. Don't fall for them telling you that they are only trying to clear this up so that the victim gets paid for damages. You will be convicted if you confess or even make any incriminating statements.

Our office is very experienced in handling these matters. For more information or to be represented, please call
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
It is a misdemeanor, six months in jail and a thousand dollar fine is the maximum sentence.
If you are identified and charged with a non injury hit and run accident, you face criminal misdemeanor charges that carry 6 months in jail max, and fines, as penalty. If you self report promptly to police and your insurance company, and pay for the damage, you might not be charged, but that is not guaranteed. The police and DA will look at all the facts and circumstances to make that decision.

If you are charged, what can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, arrange bail reduction or OR, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File evidence suppression or other motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a decent plea bargain for you. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
Hit and run is a misdemeanor, meaning that you can be placed on probation for 5 years, ordered to jail for 6 months and ordered to pay fines totaling about $3,000.00, plus the cost of fixing the damage to the other car (known as restitution).

There are several ways to handle the case informally and to avoid charges or get charges dismissed, depending on your criminal record (if any) and the amount of damage to the other car.

If you would like to discuss your case in more detail, please contact my office.
    You can expunge it under Penal Code 1203.4but that is basically worthless. Even tho an employer cannot legally get your record (they used to pay cops to run a rap sheet but this is now a misdemeanor) what they do is require that you sign a waiver letting them get your rap sheet as part of the employment process. Then they make up some bullshit reason for not hiring you.
    Yes you can be charged with a misdemeanor offense. Most of the time if you contact and hire an attorney they can settle the case with the owners of the car that you hit.
    Hit and Run is a criminal offense, so you will not just be looking at fines, but up to 6 months in jail.