What is a "marriage divorce agreement"? 4 Answers as of March 21, 2011

What is a "marriage divorce agreement"?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
It is an Marital Settlement Agreement and it is the final settlement that becomes the Judgment granting you a divorce, establishing the division of property, setting a custody Order, support Orders, and anything else you both agree to.
I think you're referring to a "Marital Settlement Agreement," also called an "MSA." An MSA is a contract that sets forth all the terms to a couple's divorce. It gets filed with the court at the end of the divorce. It is enforceable both under contract law, and as an dissolution judgment (assuming there is language which "merges" the MSA into the dissolution judgment.
What you are likely referring to is a Marital Settlement Agreement (a MSA), which is an agreement to settle a divorce (dissolution of marriage) case. Typically, when parties enter into a Marital Settlement Agreement, its terms are incorporated into the Divorce Judgment. In some counties, including Ventura, but not Los Angeles, the MSA is attached to the Judgment face sheet and the Judge signs the 2nd page of the Judgment form. In Los Angeles County, the Judge's signature should be the last entry on the last page of the Judgment.
I am not familiar with the term. I assume what you are referring to is a Marital Settlement Agreement, which is an agreement attached to a divorce judgment which recites the terms of the divorce (custody, support, property division, etc.). If you are looking for an attorney to assist you in this matter, please call me for a free consultation.