What is the likely sentence for first degree forgery? 2 Answers as of February 07, 2011

My son picked up a prescription for a narcotic that a friend of his called in to the pharmacy and was arrested. What will likely happen to him?

I am Richard H. Goolsby, Sr., of the Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, in Augusta, Georgia. I am a former state and federal prosecutor and now I practice criminal defense in Augusta. As to your question, I would urge you to retain an experienced criminal lawyer in your community, because it is impossible to predict what a judge would do in any criminal case. However, a criminal attorney can advise you as to your rights and options, including advising you as to common sentencing factors a judge would consider, including whether you have accepted responsibility, whether you have any criminal record, along with the seriousness of your case. Good luck!
Your son is going to be charged with two offenses, at least one will involve forged prescription, not just forgery. I suspect that IF he has no prior convictions, there will be a brief period of incarceration (6 months)and a lengthy period of probation (5+ years). However, you should make sure he in fact did it (that he knew what he was doing when he picked up the forged prescription), otherwise you will be writing in two years about how your son needs an expungment because he cannot find a job. He should not plead guilty IF he is not guilty, because the conviction will follow him the remainder of his life.