What is the likely punishment for distribution of a controlled substance, first offense? 3 Answers as of June 24, 2011

I was arrested on a warrant for distribution of controlled substance (hydrocodone). This is the first time I have ever been in trouble. There was a date on the statement. Please help, I don't know what to expect or what I should do.

Being a first offense, you may be able to avoid the conviction altogether by multiple avenues. One would be a deferred prosecution. Some jurisdictions have programs to assist with addiction, then dismissal of the charges. You need to get a lawyer to assist you. You can probably get probation since it is your first offense, however, that's a serious charge that you should try to avoid. If you can't afford your own lawyer, tell the court and it will appoint one for you. Stay well.
The range of punishment can vary widely depending on where you were arrested. You could be facing anything from up to twenty (20) years in prison to probation. Distribution within three miles of a school zone or housing area carries a minimum penalty of five (5) years. In some jurisdictions courts are not likely to grant probation for drug distribution, in others, the charge may be amended to possession and you may even qualify for drug court where, if you successfully complete the program, the charge can be dismissed.
It is a class B felony. 2-20 years. Get an attorney.