What is the likelihood of me receiving a civil recovery letter after I was caught shoplifting? 1 Answers as of October 20, 2016

I’m 16 years old and I got caught stealing less than $35. I know it was a stupid mistake and my mom is extremely disappointed in me. She has every right to be.

Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
Many stores have law firms, often on the east coast, that will send out a civil penalty
letter to people accused of shoplifting. The Colorado statute allows them to potentially recover up to $250 and so the letters often ask for something less, making it seem like they are trying to help you out by asking for less now rather than suing you for $250. I have never known of a person who was actually sued for the $250 and the vast majority of people who ignore those letters from the law firms never hear again (or possibly only get one additional letter).