What length of jail time can I expect for a probation violation? 3 Answers as of June 23, 2014

My fiancé had charges of driving with a suspended license and marijuana possession. He was sentenced to 12 month probation, including counseling, drug and alcohol testing, etc. He violated his probation on the same charges. Unfortunately, he missed his arraignment date and we received a notice that he had 30 days to turn himself in and that a bench warrant had been issued. He did turn himself in a few days ago, but at this time, I don't think he has been sentenced, at least there are no current court records. He would like to opt to jail time since he found probation difficult to comply with, not to mention all the hoops and fees. Any advice is appreciated.

If this happened in Michigan then he can get up to 1 year in jail. That is the maximum for marijuana in this State.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Based on what you stated, he could serve the maximum punishment of the crime. If a 90 day misdemeanor, that would be what he would serve. If a one year, then no more than a year. If any felony, then could go to prison...over a one year. Probation must be revoked. He could tell the judge he would serve jail time vs probation. Keep in mind if all charges are misdemeanors.
You can be re-sentenced up to the maximum amount for the offense you are on probation for.