What legal steps do I need to take in order to get permission to move? 5 Answers as of March 22, 2011

I want to move out of California with my two children. Right now my husband is in Las Vegas waiting for us. He got a job offer and has set up a place of us and my kids. What legal steps do I need to take in order to get permission?

Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
In order for the children to move with you, if there is a current California Judgment for custody, you must file with the court a formal request. You may need to litigate the best interest of the children, because that will be the standard for the court to use. This can be a very costly process.
If you are moving to Las Vegas with your children to be with your husband, you need to take no legal steps to move; just move to be with him. If there is no pending divorce or legal separation case between you and your husband, if you are moving to another state with your children to be away from your husband, you need to take no legal steps to move; just move where you want to move. You will have to satisfy the residency requirements of the state to which you move before you can file a case for divorce or legal separation against your husband.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You need to file an Order to Show Cause requesting a modification of custody and allowing for your move out of California. This is a big deal and you will want to get help from an attorney if at all possible.
You need to file a motion to move. Unless the other parent consents, you need to file a motion and go to court to get permission.
If the children in question are that of you and your current husband, you don't need to do anything to move with him out of state. If, on the other hand, you mean that the children are of a prior relationship, then you have to either reach mutual agreement with their father, or file a motion to change the current order to allow you to move with the children. I would be happy to discuss this matter with you further. Move away cases can be complex. Please contact me for a free consultation.