What legal rights do we have to this dog that we love? 2 Answers as of February 26, 2013

CALIFORNIA: my son's friend brought him a puppy and said "she's yours". my son is 16 years old and has taken very good care of Blue. He's gotten her her shots and all has been training her. she a special dog and were all attached to Blue. what legal rights does he have? What should he do?

Law Office of Christian Menard
Law Office of Christian Menard | Christian Menard
A gift, by any other name, is still a gift. If the dog was a gift to your son, then the dog is his. Your post does not say, but I am assuming that your sons friend wants the dog back. So if your question is should he give the dog back, well legally he need not do so. There is the matter of neighbor relations. A compromise should be worked out to maintain friendly neighborly relations. Nothing worse than having nasty neighbors and I can see that this situation may cause some of that. A suggestion might be to take your son's friend to the pound and find him another dog.one that he likes and starts hugging. Then the two boys can both have dogs and play with them in the yard or parks.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
Unfortunately it is unclear from the question what has happened. Has the person asked for return of the dog? It sounds like a gift to me and your son should not have to return the dog. Perhaps he should license the dog in his or your name. That might help.