What is the legal procedure to obtain my final judgment order in a civil case? 21 Answers as of August 23, 2012

I am being denied a copy of my final judgment order in a civil case by circuit clerk office.

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
Since Circuit Court Records are public records unless the file is suppressed for some reason you should be able to get a copy of the final judgment by showing proper identification as a party to the case and paying the fee for a copy of the judgment. If this does not work you should ask to see the court administrator and find out why there is a problem.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
That makes no sense. Why would they deny you a document that is in a court file which is public record? Ask to speak with a supervisor.
Assuming the final judgment has been signed and filed, you just go to the clerk's office and ask for a copy. There will be a copying fee.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
This question does not appear to be for Nevada as we don't have circuit courts. If it were for a Nevada justice court or district court, you merely order a copy of the filed document from the clerk.

If there is no filed order or judgment and you did not submit one for the judge to sign, then you need to prepare one as the prevailing party. It sounds like you may need counsel if you need to submit the judgment or visit a self help center. I am not your attorney, you may need to consider hiring one to address your specific situation.
Is there something you are not mentioning, go to the Courthouse and ask the clerk for a copy of the final judgment in the case. Be prepared to pay for the copies. If denied I will need much more information.
    Law Office of Robert J. Slotkin | Robert J. Slotkin
    Final judgments are normally sent by the clerk to recording. Go on the clerk or recorder website (depending what County you live in) and look. You can also speak with the Clerk about the deputy clerk denying you public access.
    The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
    The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
    You should be able to request a certified copy of the final judgment from the clerk - but you have to pay for it. The clerk's office charges $1.00 per page and $2.00 to certify. So, a one page final judgment would cost $3.00. Or, when the order was submitted for the court to sign, you can submit a second copy, known as a "conformed copy" and the clerk's office will return it showing that the judge signed the judgment and the date it was signed. However, if you need the final judgment to lien property, etc., you'll need to have a certified copy; the conformed copy won't be sufficient.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I need more facts in order to be of any assistance to you. Was this a judgment in circuit court or probate court? What was the judgment concerning? Why would the court clerk deny this to you? Judgments, once they have been entered, are part of the public record, just like almost any other court documents. Normally, as long as you are willing to pay a fee for the copies, (because the courts do not do ANYTHING for free), they are more than happy to turn over whatever documents you would like. The fact that that is apparently NOT the case with you suggests at unusual circumstances. Knowing what those circumstances are may help me to better answer your question.
    Gordon F. Gault PC | Gordon F Gault
    This does not make any sense. Just ask for the court file and get it out yourself.
    Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
    Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
    If the judge has signed the final judgment, you should be able to obtain a copy from the court clerk. There may be certain procedures that must be followed that pertain to a particular clerk's office, however. If the judgment is very old, the records may be in storage and it may take some time to retrieve it. If you are denied a copy of the judgment, the clerk will usually provide an explanation. Of course, if the judge has not yet signed the judgment, there is nothing that the clerk can do.
    In answer to your question, I am assuming your complaint was unopposed, in that no one filed an answer. That being the case, you will need to file a Request to Enter a Default Judgment, with a supporting factual declaration and request a clerk's judgment, or in the alternative, also file a request for a default hearing to present facts to the court, supporting your request for a default judgment, and if orally granted, present to the court the appropriate judicial council form completed for the judge signature, which will be filed with the clerk's office with a copy to be sent to you, if you provide them a copy with a self addressed envelope. Your question is light on the facts, so the above is the best answer I can give.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    If you are making your request by mail you must include the cost of copying the Judgment and a SASE to send it to you.
    Your case is unusual as I have never met a Clerk of Court who would deny a party a copy of their Judgment. The only reason why a Clerk might not give a Party a copy of their Judgment is if it has not been prepared yet. The Courts are understaffed and it is taking weeks, and in some cases months, for the Court to rule on cases and get Judgments out to the Parties in the mail. That said, there may be a fee for a Certified Copy of the Judgment, or a copy fee if you have already been sent a copy of the Judgment. The Parties are always mailed a copy of the Judgment, this may be through their attorney - so if you were represented by an attorney they may have your copy.
    Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
    Court records are "public knowledge".. unless the record is sealed by order of the judge. That means that you can get a copy of any document in the file (upon payment of the court research and copying charges).... unless, of course, the case is too old and the records are already destroyed.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    You are entitled to a copy if you pay the copy fee, it is a public record.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC | Barry D. Broome
    Did the judge place a privacy order on the decree? If not, the judgment is a public document and you should receive a copy. There may be a small cost for a copy. Barry Your financial plan is not complete until it is co-ordinated with your estate plan. Will your family be provided for when you are gone? Without a Will, the court will decide.
    Slotnick & Schwartz
    Slotnick & Schwartz | Leonard T. Schwartz
    There is more to this story than can be answered here. In New Jersey if a Judgment was granted you need only request confirmation. Sometimes it is sent automatically. To be denied by a clerk means that something has not been done or paid for.
    Go either to Seattle Clerk's office or Kent's Clerk's office, they have computers that permit you to access case files. You will need to know the case number.
    Lowthorp, Richards, McMillan, Miller & Templeman | Cristian R. Arrieta
    Assuming you've obtained a clerk's judgment or entry of default, then you need to present an application for final judgment to the court along with necessary supplements in accordance with Cal Rule of Court 3.1800.
    Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Charles E. Clos
    A clerk cannot deny you a copy. A judgment is a public document; appear at the clerk's office and demand a copy. You may have to pay a minimal copying fee.