What legal options do I have to get my product back and will he have to reimburse me for the damages he did to my product? 4 Answers as of May 13, 2014

A few weeks ago, I delivered an electronic product to a repair company who were professed experts on the specific device. The repair specialist gave me adequate documentation and receipts to prove ownership of the device. A week after I dropped it off, the specialist called me saying that it could not be repaired. In fact in his attempts to repair it, he damaged it beyond repair to the point where it no longer even works. He said he would attempt to repair it back to the status which I dropped it off in and that was the last time we spoke. It has been another week since then and he refuses to return my calls and my e-mails. Time is a very important factor to me because I am about to leave the state.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Interesting!! Suing for damages, if valid, would take a long time to pursue through the court system. And, you would have to come back for the trial. I guess you need to go to the store and demand the return of the product. Have an expert look at it and find out what damage was done to it by the mechanic, and find out if it was actually repairable before the mechanic did additional damage.. If it could not be fixed, then the damage that was done did not matter.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/13/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Take him to small claims.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/7/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
You have a fact situation don't you. You had a product he says could not be repaired. He did further damage what difference does that make if it could not be repaired anyway? What matters if he hit it with a hammer at that point. I am sure he has an entirely different story from you about the matter. You can file suit in small claims court. Cost you about a hundred.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 5/7/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I would certainly have to have more details, but sometimes in attempting to fix one thing, another fails. I have no idea about your contract or the representations of expertise but it would appear to me that you would least owe for the time and material spent attempting to repair your electronics. If you get the product back with the same utility as it had when you delivered it, you have no damages.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: