What legal liability do I have after selling pot as a teen? 5 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I was arrested for having 0.1 oz of pot on me when I was 16. I started selling pot when I was 17. I sold about an ounce of marijuana per week for 9-10 months. I sold some adderal on the side, but mainly pot. I stopped selling right before I turned 18. I kept using pot until about a month ago. I'm going to be 19 next month. What kind of legal liability do I have in New York? Were my actions felonies? What could I do to get right with the law in the eyes of NY? Thank you.

The sale of marijuana can be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the amount. As a minor you will usually be placed on probation and given Youthful Offender status so that you will not have a criminal conviction. You could also have your case dismissed with an ACD or delayed dismissal so that if you are not arrested n six months again your case will be dismissed and you will have no criminal record.Selling drugs can be dangerous because sometimes dealers are robbed or even killed by the buyers, especially for larger amounts of cash. I just watched the trial of a man who killed the dealer and took his $2,500 but was caught because his accomplice left prints on the car and he left his glasses in the car after they shot him in the head. His girlfriend sat in the car with her dead boyfriend bleeding all over her as she screamed for help. I'm sure that dealer never thought the men would kill him, but he didn't cooperate and they probably felt he would identify them so they decided to kill him. The police had the cell phone of the killer to show that they had called the dealer and it placed them in the area of the murder and they were both convicted of felony murder. He also confessed to the police on videotape and was implicated by the co-defendant and the girlfriend who described him to the police but could not pick him out of a line up. I tell you this story so that you understand that dealing drugs can cost you more than just a criminal conviction, jail time, or hurt your chances of getting a god job, it could cost you your life. I hope you will continue your education, get a good job or career, and avoid alcohol and drugs as they have destroyed countless lives and are never as harmless as some people think.
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
They were not felonies but your actions were crimes. Assuming you were not arrested, you've stopped selling or possessing that's the first step. From there just build up your career so you can have a bright future for yourself.
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
Get right with the law by not selling or using marijuana or other illegal drugs. As for your past, let it go. There is a 5 year statute of limitations on felonies, and a 2 year statute of limitations on misdemeanors. After those times have gone by, you are in the clear. Simply thank God that you were not charged in your younger days and move on with a clean life.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
If you have not been charged with a crime up until now and you are no longer committing crimes then it is unlikely that you will have to make anything right. Just keep clean and work hard.
I would need further information such as are you charged with anything now and if so what. You may be able to get previous conviction expunged , hopefully you were granted Youthful Offender status. You should hire an attorney.