What legal documents do I need to make sure that my childrens father will bring my kids back to me? 3 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I lived in GA with my kids father (We are not married) and I have moved out of state, he’s wanting to get them over the weekend, what legal documents do I need to make sure that he will bring my kids back to me?

Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
Under Georgia law, a biological father of a child born out of wedlock has no rights to the child; the mother has all parental control, power, and custody of the child (and she is not required to let the father see the child, and she may dictate the terms of any visitation that does occur). Because of this, there really is no "legal document" for your situation. If you do decide to let the child come to Georgia and the father does not return him, then you need to call the sheriff in the county in which the father is holding the child, explain the situation, and ask them to accompany you to get the child. If the sheriff will not cooperate with this, then you will need to hire an attorney to file paperwork with the court to force a return of the child.
In Georgia, generally, a party may seek a court order, in a paternity suit, which addresses issues of custody, child support and visitation. You should consult with a family law lawyer where you live ASAP concerning your rights and options. Good luck.
First of all he has no rights to the child unless he first legitimates the child and then seeks a court visitation order, so until he does that, there is no legal document as to visitation.