What legal action can I take to get temporary custody back? 6 Answers as of January 24, 2014

I signed over temporary custody in Oct. 2012 due to financial hardship. Now the other person is refusing to give them back. What can I do? And can she legally go to court and have something done without notifying me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
You have a right to be notified of any court dates affecting you. Have you notified the other party of any address changes? Notice could have been sent to your last known address. You should go to the district clerk in the county where the order was given and see if other orders have been given. And you should take legal action to get the rights you want by hiring a lawyer sooner rather than later. Use your rights or loose your rights.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/24/2014
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
You need to file a petition to modify custody.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/24/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
If there is no court order establishing the parenting with the individual that you reference, you should be entitled to have a child returned your care. However, I urge you to meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options. The child's bonding with the other person may be an influencing factor on the court keeping the child in the current living situation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2014
Ms. Cheryl Osterberg | Cheryl Osterberg
Assuming you have a court order already: Be sure that your current mailing address is on file with the court, and notify her of any change. You would be getting notice by certified mail. Call the court to see if there have been papers filed since the signing of the original order. If you want the situation to change, plan on going to court.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/24/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You can revoke your power of attorney, call the police and have her arrested for kidnapping. If she goes to court to become guardian, she has to notify you.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/24/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    You should file for custody of the child. Even though it is labelled as temporary custody, she will remain the custodian until paperwork is filed saying otherwise with the court.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/24/2014
Click to View More Answers: