What legal action can I take against someone harassing me on a social networking site? 5 Answers as of March 09, 2012

My mother is posting emotionally abusive, potentially libelous, and harassing posts about me on her public social networking site. I've asked her to stop, to no avail. I've reported her to site, but that, I'm sure was an exercise in futility. I find her behavior exhausting, stressful, and demoralizing and want her to cease and desist. Would a restraining order protect me from this sort of harassment? Can I sue her? Can I, for a lack of a better word, divorce my own mother? I have taken screenshots of most of her posts. The ones left on my personal account were deleted because I do not want to be a public spectacle with my family drama. I am 24 and do not live with her. I'm willing to cut off all ties, but I want to make sure that there is a way to make her stop with her childlike bullying and harassment.

Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
You can seek a civil harassment restraining order to prohibit her from doing these sorts of things. A local attorney can assist or the courts will have a packet of information on how to proceed. You'll need to file with the court, setting out your allegations and serve her with a date to appear for a hearing on whether or not the judge will issue the restraining order. If granted, it will prohibit her for whatever conduct the judge indicates. If she violates the terms of the order, she is facing misdemeanor criminal charges.
You can possibly get a restraining order but the easiest and most effective would be a civil suit. Even an initial letter from a lawyer telling her what is coming might get her to stop.
Theoretically, you can sue anyone for harassment and/or seek a restraining order against them, which could be used to make the websites remove her posts. It may be possible for your attorney to demand and threaten her with litigation, and get her to voluntarily comply and stop. It's worth a try.
Law Office of John D Forsyth | John D Forsyth
She is exercising her right to free speech in a public forum. You would have to consult with a civil attorney as to whether her statements constitute slander/libel against you. Is she lying about you? Or expressing an opinion that does not speak well of you? Of course, you could always stop visitng the site.
The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
You can consult a civil attorney for advice on whether you have a valid defamation or intentional infliction of emotional distress claim. You can try for a restraining order, but unless she is threatening you and you fear for your safety, you will have a hard time winning your case.