What laws are involved with a fence/property boundary dispute? Posted on January 17, 2011

My 27 yr old friend has recently inherited his grandparent's old house. He has helped and taken care of the front/backyard/plants, trees, and landscaping since he was small. While him, his family, and his grandparents were preoccupied with the ailing and final death of the grandparents; the renter of the backyard neighboring property built a fence taking a good piece of my friend's property with it. There is land and vegetation inside of the fence that he cared for with his own hands and heart while growing up.

There is now a different renter on the property and he feels the fence should stay because it was there when he moved in. The owner of the property refuses to be involved. My friend does not have much excess money. He is sure about the property lines but is currently unable to pay the 400 dollar survey fee. What all can he do and what are his best courses of action(s)? Thank you for your time and help.