What law requires my Ex's attorney to communicate with me instead of my Ex himself? 2 Answers as of July 11, 2011

I do not have an attorney, my Ex does. To avoid conflict with my ex, I want to only communicate through his attorney, but his attorney does not respond to me at all. Is there a law that defines lawyer’s responsibilities? And is there a law I can try to enforce to have the lawyer in the middle and not have to deal with my ex? Thank you for your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
There is no law requiring your ex's attorney to communicate directly with you. If your ex is harrassing you with calls, you could change your telephone number to an unlisted number. If your ex is threatening you with harm, you could seek Domestic Violence Restraining Orders against him. If you want to communicate with your ex's attorney, and you are not represented by counsel, send a letter, FAX or e-mail to your ex's attorney. If you file and have documents served on your ex's attorney, your ex's attorney would have to serve responsive documents on you. You could retain your own counsel, but in that event, your ex's attorney could not speak directly to you due to ethical restrictions against an attorney speaking to a represented party. However, you would be better protected by retaining your own counsel, because your ex's attorney could use anything that you say to him/her against you, whereas anything your own attorney tells your ex's attorney can't be used against you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/11/2011
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Best thing to do is put your contact with opposing counsel in writing and track any failure of reply in follow up letters to the other attorney. If the attorney is ignoring you in a way that the court feels is violating proper management of the case, then you might be entitled to court ordered sanctions.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: