What is the law in a deposition where all parties have the right to ask questions to all parties? 1 Answers as of October 20, 2016

I represented myself in a civil right lawsuit. I have the right to ask once I'm suing.

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
If it's not worth hiring an experienced attorney, it's not worth litigating. This is especially true in civil rights litigation because under the private attorney general doctrine. Pursuant to this doctrine, if you win, the Defendant has to pay all of your attorney fees in addition to any award/verdict. This literally leaves you with the choice between spending a great deal of time and probably doing a very poor job or hiring an experienced professional at no cost to you. It really does seem to be a no-brainer. You haven't asked a question but here is sequence of questioning in a deposition. Depositions are not free-for-all's. If you notice a Party's Deposition or subpoena a nonparty, you, and only you ask questions, until you are done. That is called your direct examination. When you are finished, the Defendant's attorney gets to ask questions of the deponent. This is called Cross-Examination. In party depositions, cross examination is generally used to clarify a party's answers on direct examination. Once the Cross-Examination is completed, you have an opportunity to ask more questions but the scope of your questions is limited to the questions that were asked in cross-examination. This is called redirect. If the deponent has further questions related to your questions or wishes to further clarify answers provided to your questions on redirect, he has an opportunity to do that. That is called recross.