What kind of visas can be changed to immigrant visas? 8 Answers as of January 09, 2011

What non-immigrant visas can be adjusted to immigrant visas?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You are able to have approval to adjust status from L-1/L-2, H-1B, H-1C, O-1, E-1 or E-2 , and F-1 visas. If you have a desire or opportunity to adjust status, then feel free to contact me to schedule a consultation to discuss your case and how I may be of service to you. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/9/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Most non-immigrant visas can be changed to immigrant Visas. This depends on how you entered the U.S. and which type of Non-immigrant visa you currently hold. Note that a Visa waiver is different and cannot be adjusted in the U.S.

Please see an immigration attorney for further guidance.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/27/2010
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
None. The student visa , tourist visa, business visa cannot be converted.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 12/27/2010
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It is not matter of what can be adjusted. It is matter whether the sponsor is eligible and the underlined relationship qualifies for the petition. If the petition is approved and the non-immigration visa is still valid, the beneficiary can adjust status in US.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/22/2010
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Really, the answer is that non-immigrant visas cannot be changed to immigrant visas. While someone is here on a non-immigrant visa, they can however pursue permanent residence at the same time in certain situations and in certain visa statuses.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/22/2010
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    There are a few nonimmigrant visas, such as alien crewmen in "C", "D", or "B" visa status, which cannot seek adjustment of status in the US. Others would be "J" visa holders subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirements who have not received a waiver, entrants under the Visa Waiver Program, unless they qualify as Immediate Relatives of a US citizen, "K" visa holders, unless they marry within 90 days and the K petitioner is also the petitioner on the I-130 and some others. That being said, this question does not lend itself to a blanket answer and each case must be determined on its own merits.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/22/2010
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    No, a non-immigrant visa can be changed to an immigrant visa. Individuals in many non-immigrant visa status may be able apply to adjust their status to permanent residence if eligible based on petition or other application.

    The question is, what is your current non-immigrant status, are you still in status (your status has not expired and you have not violated your status), and what is the bases that you believe you are eligible to file for permanent residence? If you provide that information, it may be possible to give you a more specific answer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/22/2010
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    These are very different categories- you don't switch from one to the other, but instead do one while on the other. So you stay on a nonimmigrant visa until the immigrant petition is approved AND you are able to file for the green card. I am happy to discuss this issue in detail. This normally takes about one hour and my fee is $150.

    If hired for the case, included in my representation is fully analysis of your case throughout the process, drafting all legal forms, providing a detailed document list for you, preparing/submitting/tracking your application once accepted by DHS/DOS, answering any questions you may have during the process, working to clear out any delays which might occur and then conducting a detailed interview preparation prior to your interview (if your case has an interview).

    If you would like to set up a phone consult, please let me know.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/22/2010
Click to View More Answers: