What kind of visa do I need? 4 Answers as of May 03, 2011

I am looking to run my own business in Texas, namely Austin. It will be a sort of fair-trade England-themed bar/restaurant where any money over necessity will go towards a local cause. The problem is I am a British Citizen. Would it be possible for me to move over there and do this? If so, what sort of visas would I need as I would be in charge of my own business and is there any other important things I'll need to know/do before I get started?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
An E-2 (Treaty Investor) is an option under the circumstances you describe. This visa is available for citizens of the UK who wish to start and operate a business in the U.S. The amount of the investment is not set by law, so could be as low as $50,000.00 depending on the nature and type of business.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
As a British national you may be eligible for a Treaty Investor (E-2) visa which allows you to invest in and develop a business enterprise. The requirements are much too complex to list here. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can explain the process to you and make a recommendation on how to proceed.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/2/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
There are several visa options that can be considered such as an E-2 investor visa, a cultural exchange visa, possibly an L-1 if you also have a company in England that would stay in business. The best way to proceed is to schedule a consultation to discuss the specifics of your situation and be able to go back and forth with Questions and Answers. We do charge for consultations but any fees paid for consultation would then be credited toward the fees for your case if we are retained.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Usually you are not allowed to work in usa as a visitor. Depending on whether you want a green card and other background, you may be eligible for e visa or l visa. You are welcome to contact us for furhter analysis.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: