What kind of charges is there against getting money from a check and go or fast cash and was unable to pay it back? 9 Answers as of December 20, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
None. If their so-called collector is calling you and threatening you with that, he is lying and scamming you. Ignore it, hang up on them. You can't go to jail for owing a debt.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/20/2013
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If the transaction involved cashing a check which was returned for insufficient funds or because the account was close, you could be facing a misdemeanor charge for intentionally writing a check for insufficient funds. Be advised that, in such cases, repayment of the amount is not necessarily a defense. The offense is based on what a person knew was in their account at the time they wrote the check.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 12/20/2013
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
These places are simply making loans so failure to pay it back can result in interest, fees, attorney fees(if provided for in loan documents) plus of course the unpaid principal.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 12/20/2013
Strowbridge Blaisdel Richardson | Strowbridge Richardson
Your question appears to be missing some important facts. Please rephrase your question and give more detail.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/18/2013
Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
Insufficient funds check, check fraud, theft etc.etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/18/2013
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    It is civil not criminal unless you intentionally defrauded them.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Bad check fraud.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    There probably isn't any criminal charges unless they can prove you frauded them or never intended to pay it back or didn't reasonably have the means to pay it back to begin with. Otherwise, their remedy would be to serve you in civil court and get a civil judgement against you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    If you borrow money from a licensed high-interest lender in Illinois, you are obligated to pay the principal, interest and other charges in the loan agreement. There is no criminal liability for failure to repay a loan.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/18/2013
Click to View More Answers: