What kind of charges am I looking at for a second DUI in California? 8 Answers as of November 20, 2010

What kind of charges am I looking at for a second DUI in California?

Do you mean what type of penalty if you are convicted? It carries a minimum of 96 hours in jail (may be served over two weekends), about $2K in fines, and a one-year license suspension.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
The charges on a second DUI within 10 years of a prior are more serious. For more info or to retain counsel call us.
The potential of mandatory jail, fines, license suspension. Your attorneys job is to either take it to trial [risky], seek dismissal through evidence suppression motions if available, or seek a plea bargain that minimizes those penalties and gets you probation instead of jail. If serious about hiring counsel to do so, feel free to contact me.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
If the second DUI is within 10 years of the first then it will enhanced the penalties, a longer driverss license suspension, longer required alcohol school, additional time in custody, a larger fine, and a longer probationary period.
Depends on your BA but you can expect a much larger fine and a one year DUI course. They want to impress upon you not to drive, drunk. If you pick up a third it gets really serious and you usually get county jail time. For number 4 you could possibly go to prison.
    The charges you would be looking at would be 23152(a) and possibly 23152(b). The consequences per the statute could include up to 1 year in jail (although that is extreme), fines up to $1,000 plus penalty assessment which would greatly increase the fine, and an 18 month alcohol class. Additionally, if there are enhancements, such as a probation violation, excessive speeding, child in the car, accident, etc., those penalties can increase.

I highly recommend hiring an attorney experienced in handling these matters in order to defend your case. I would be happy to help you out and discuss your case further in a free consultation.
    A fine of $390 to $1000 with penalty assessment (multiplied by approximately 3-4 times), a minimum of 4 days and up to 1 year in county jail, attendance in a 18 month alcohol program, and installation of an interlocking device for up to 3 years. As a result of the court conviction, the DMV will suspend your license for 2 years, but a restricted license may be requested after 1 year of suspension. Additionally, you will receive 2 points on your driving record.

Of course, the goal is to avoid some or all of the above. Consider hiring an attorney who specializes in DUI to represent you.