What kind of attorney do I need of I am being sued for personal injury from an auto accident? 36 Answers as of February 07, 2013

What kind of lawyer do I need in order to defend myself? I am being sued for personal injury from the other party in an auto accident.

Law Office of Christian Menard
Law Office of Christian Menard | Christian Menard
You need a good attorney...one who defend you in such a lawsuit. You will have to pay him by the hour as such defense cases are not taken on contingency for the obvious reason that there is no recovery, but is only a question of damage control. I have defended such people before and won. The only thing my clients were out was what they wound up paying me which was a lot more than the cost of insurance.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
You need a personal injury attorney or one who practices insurance law. Did you not have insurance? Why isn't your insurance company defending you
If you have insurance, you need the insurer's attorney. In other words, send the complaint to your insurance company and they should defend you. If you don't have insurance, then find an attorney that does insurance defense work. Call the Idaho State Bar for a referral.
Robert Kubler | Robert Kubler
Give the lawsuit to your car insurance company. If you're uninsured then seek a local personal injury attorney or more specifically an auto accident attorney.
An insurance defense attorney. You should advise your insurance company of the suit.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Your insurance carrier should supply your with representation.
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
    Your insurance company will provide you one free of charge.
    If you had auto insurance, then turn the paperwork, letter or lawsuit, over to your auto insurance company. If you do not know the address, then go to the office of the agent from whom you bought the insurance. If you do not have insurance, then you should not have been on the road at all. You will have to hire a personal injury attorney; they usually advertise on TV, billboards, lavatory walls, buses, and any structure or medium possible. Of course, you will have to pay up front. so, it is always best to have auto insurance.
    Beach Whitman Cowdrey LLP | Eric S. Emanuels
    You need a personal injury defense lawyer. Notify your insurance company,and the insurance company should assign a lawyer to represent you.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If you have insurance they will defend you. Otherwise a good personal injury defense attorney is what is needed.
    Ernst & Marko Law Firm
    Ernst & Marko Law Firm | Jonathan Marko
    You need a personal injury attorney. If you have insurance, you should submit the lawsuit to your insurance company and they will provide an attorney free of charge. If you do not have an attorney, you should contact one as soon as possible.
    You need a lawyer familiar with defending accident cases in Alabama. If you have car insurance, your car insurance company will get you one. Good luck.
    Christensen Law Group, PLLC
    Christensen Law Group, PLLC | D. Michael O'Neil, Jr.
    Contact your insurance company and put it on Notice of the claim against you. If the insurance company does not provide legal counsel, you should identify, interview, and engage a litigation attorney.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    If you have auto insurance put them on notice and they will hire an attorney to defend you. If not you need a lawyer that practices in the area of civil defense.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Bozich & Korn | Joseph A. Korn
    Since you are required to have insurance under Illinois Law, I am assuming you had insurance at the time of the accident. If you contact your insurance company they should handle the defense of the claim.
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
    You should contact your automobile insurance company and tender the claim to them. They will provide you with a lawyer to defend you.
    Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA, a personal injury law firm
    Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA, a personal injury law firm | Jason Neufeld
    If you have car insurance, you need to report the accident to them. They have an obligation to hire an attorney (at their cost) to defend your interests. If you do not have auto insurance, be prepared to hire a lawyer that will charge you up front. You can search for an auto injury defense attorney in your area. Good luck to you
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Hopefully you have insurance on your vehicle, in which case the insurance company should cover your defense. If not, contact an attorney thru the Lawyer Referral Service who handles defense.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    If you have insurance give the papers to your carrier. If you don't, you need a personal injury lawyer such ad myself.
    You take the suit papers to your agent. The insurance company will engage a lawyer to defend you. That is part of what your premiums pay for.
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    You need an attorney with experience in personal injury and property damage claims. If you have insurance, notify your insurance company who should be able to provide you with Counsel.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    The first thing to do is notify your auto insurance agent. Your insurance company should provide a defense for you by hiring a lawyer who specializes in insurance defense matters.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A. | Howard Mishkind
    If you had insurance on the motor vehicle you were driving, notify your insurance company and they will assign an attorney to represent you at no cost. If you did not have insurance then you need to hire an attorney that handles civil matters to determine what is the best approach to take.
    Turn this over to your insurance company. Immediately. Today. Make several copies of the suit papers, deliver one to your agent (make him/her sign for it), send another to the claims department of the insurance company via certified mail. They will hire a lawyer to defend you. Co-operate with the insurance company to the fullest extent. If you have not yet been served with suit papers, notify the agent and claims department immediately and give them all of the information they ask for.
    Atterbury, Kammer & Haag | Eric J. Haag
    If you had insurance, your insurance company will hire a lawyer to defend the case. If you don't have insurance, and you want to hire a lawyer, you need to hire an insurance defense lawyer anyway, since those folks will be well versed in defending auto accident cases.
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC
    Paul A. Lauto, PLLC | Paul A. Lauto
    In general if coverage applies, your automobile insurance company should be appointing attorneys to defend you as part of their contractual obligation.
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
    Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
    You need a personal injury attorney, or, more generally, a civil litigation attorney. Talk to your insurance company: many insurance policies include coverage for attorney representation in litigation concerning covered events, and the insurer can be very specific about who should be representing you if you want the insurer to pay for your attorney's work. Regards.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    The claim should be turned over to your auto insurance carrier and allow them to hire an attorney for you. If you were not insured, I would try to find an attorney, like myself, that accepts cases from insurance companies to defend your insureds, and not a general practice attorney. That would be your best bet to efficiently attempt to resolve the case if you can, and try the case if you must.
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC | Scott D. Camassar
    If you had car insurance, send the lawsuit to your insurer and they will hire a defense lawyer for you. Otherwise you need a lawyer with experience defending personal injury claims.
    David P. Slater, esq.
    David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
    Someone like me, experienced in personal injury litigation. If you had auto liability insurance, your carrier should be notified.
    At the risk of sounding ridiculous, you need a personal injury defense attorney, and you can probably get the name of one from your local bar association. Either that, or call anyone who advertises on television for automobile accident cases, and ask them for the name of an insurance defense attorney.....but if you have insurance on your automobile, tell them about the suit and if you have insurance of property damage or personal injury, your insurance company should provide a lawyer for you.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    If you are insured, contact your insurance company.
    If you have auto insurance, or if the car you were driving was insured, your auto insurance (or the car's) will hire an attorney to defend you. If you have no auto insurance, you should hire an insurance defense attorney.
    Law Offices of Benjamin D. Pelton | Benjamin D. Pelton
    Civil litigation. Attorney. What about your auto insurance?
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    If you have auto insurance, they will provide one for you.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney