What kind of lawyer do I need? 2 Answers as of April 26, 2011

My son's 20 yr old friend was intoxicated at the college where he lives. He was caught urinating on the outside of a dorm door (same dorm bldg as he lives). The State Police were called. He was kicked out of housing, pending an informal meeting and a court hearing. The 20 yr old is mortified over his actions & apologized to the person whose door he urinated on. The person will not be "charging" him; however, the University will be charging him. Q.1. What kind of lawyer is needed for this 20 yr old to accompany him into court; Q.2. Can he agree to community service instead of having a record ? Q.3. Is there any way for this 20 yr old to have a nolo lawyer, as I am sure his parents will NOT be able to hire one.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq.
Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq. | Kelly Broadbent
If he was charged criminally or if there is a criminal clerk hearing, his best bet is to hire a criminal lawyer. By doing so he may be able to work out a deal to have the matter dismissed at the clerk level or before arraignment so that charges do not appear on his record. Massachusetts has court appointed lawyers that are appointed for low income at the arraignment and beyond, based on income levels. Unfortunately a court appointed lawyer probably would not be able to assist him dealing with the college. A private attorney will typically handle the criminal end and the college hearing.

With regard to community service, it depends on what can be worked out with the district attorney and what the judge will approve. Factors to consider are any prior record, how far the university wants to push the case, whether the court feels alcohol treatment/screening is necessary, and whether any property was damaged. Each set of district attorneys and judges handle cases slightly different.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/26/2011
The Law Offices of Jason Chan
The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
It is always a good idea to go to court with a lawyer. With a college student it is important to get a good resolution that doesn't negatively effect his future.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: