What jail time will I face for three theft charges? 1 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I have 3 separate charges committed on 3 different occasions all theft under $300. My last one was on July 2010; I plead not guilty at my arraignment and also at my pre-trial. I go to court for trial tomorrow. Will I get jail time? I do have all my fine money to bring to court.

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
The law in Louisiana states that when there has been a misappropriation or taking by a number of distinct acts of the offender, the aggregate of the amount will determine the grade of the offense. This means that a judge could decide to bundle your 3 offenses. If this amount exceeds $500 then you will be facing jail time of up to 5 years and fines of up to $2,000. The fact that you have 3 separate charges for 3 separate offenses will not be promising indicators for a judge to refrain from imposing jail time. This is really a matter that you should hire an attorney to represent you in court for.