What immigration papers do I need when meeting with an immigration lawyer? 8 Answers as of January 17, 2011

When I go to immigration lawyer to do papers for my wife, what papers do I need to have?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You need birth certificates of you and your wife, marriage certificates, her passport and documents showing she entered the United States legally if she is here, and your naturalization certificate.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
When clients visit us, from over 50 states and outside the continent, they send their information by email or fax.

We require that they provide us with passport, any marriage certificates, birth certificates, and other paperwork that is necessary to answer any questions and proceed with the application process.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
I would be happy to assist with your case so feel free to call me to discuss. You can always meet first and then bring documents later but we love prepared clients. Other documents and the fees would be determined after we know whether your wife entered the U.S. legally, has any criminal record, has ever been stopped at the border or deported (now called removal). These will determine whether we can process her case in the U.S. or she will need to travel abroad and whether a waiver is required.

We do charge for consultations other than an initial introductory call $350 per hour - but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for further work on your behalf after the consultation. My contact information follows.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Unless you have already filed or received something from the USCIS or Department of State, most immigration attorneys do not require you bring any papers or documents when meeting with you for the first time. At our office, after meeting with you and being retained we will provide you with a detailed Client Document List indicating work documents are needed for your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You need passports, proof of everyone's status, birth certificates, marriage certificate, evidence of your wife's legal entry, and any evidence you have that shows your relationship is real.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/4/2011
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
    JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
    You need your marriage certificate, birth certificates from both, passport, entry visa and I-94, tax returns, etc.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/4/2011
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    You should bring the following:

    birth certificates for you and your wife;

    divorce papers (final and absolute) for any prior marriages;

    marriage certificate for you both;

    your wife's passport and I-94;

    copies of your wife's I-20 student IDs, IAP-66/DS-2039 (if applicable);

    copies of any other immigration papers or filings she might have (if

    copies of your three most recent 1040 federal tax returns;

    A job letter confirming your job title, salary or hourly wage and total
    hours worked each week;

    Two (2) passport style photographs of yourself; and

    Six (6) passport style photographs of your wife (some attorneys may want

    The attorney will then instruct you about the filing fees and where your wife should go to get her medical exam done and will prepare the necessary forms, but this list will ensure that you have what the lawyer needs to get started right away.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 1/4/2011
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    For the immigrant spouse: Bring the passport, i-94 used to enter the US. Bring all immigration documents (forms, receipts, approval, denial, work permits, etc...) filed with / received by the INS / USCIS/ EOIR, etc filed by your spouse or by her / his parents if your spouse was under the age of 21. Bring any / all certified court disposition for any / all criminal matters, even if case was expunged or dismissed. Bring any proof of termination of previous marriages - even if it was 50 years ago. Certificates of birth of your spouses + all certificates from her children.

    The US citizen spouse should bring: any criminal records having to do with criminal conviction involving harm to children, all proof of termination of previous marriage, proof of US citizenship (birth cert if born in the US, US passport or nturalization certificate). Be sure to answer correctly all the questions the attorney will ask you. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: