What if my son was caught with my medical marijuana? 10 Answers as of April 08, 2011

I am a medical marijuana user for pain relief and my 17-year old son was caught smoking my marijuana at a park with some other high schoolers. I knew that my son took my marijuana once but I cannot keep track of him all the time. Will I be faced with any charges or is this just a juvenile offense for my son?

If it can be proven that you furnished him with the marijuana, that is a felony. Otherwise he will face charges in the juvenile court.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
Without knowing all the specifics (who said what to the police, what the circumstances are about how you safeguard your marijuana supply, etc.), this is all a hypothetical situation.

He will face possession charges. He could face felony charges if he is the one that supplied (distributing is a felony, even if it was not sold). He could face contributing to the delinquency of a minor charges as well.

You have potential liability if there is any indication you supplied this to him. You also have potential issues with CPS by having marijuana accessible to him.

Will you be charged or be in hot water with CPS? I don't know. Is there potential liability there? Unfortunately, yes.
It is a juvenile offense for your son and unless he tells the cops you voluntarily gave it to him you are not in trouble. Your position is that he stole it from your drawer in a room he has no permission to enter.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
If it could be proven you could be prosecuted.
He can face charges, but would likely be charged as a juvenile. Keep in mind that juvenile convictions are serious too.
    He does not have a card, so he was in illegal possession, and will likely face criminal charges, just like anyone else found in possession. If serious about hiring him legal counsel, feel free to contact me. It is not likely, but possible, that you could also be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor by making the drug accessible to him. You are obligated to maintain control of your legal supply.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    It is just a juvenile offense unless you knew of the taking or were aware he was likely to do it and you did not take steps to prevent it
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    He could face charges for marijuana possession. However, just recently the offense was lowered to an infraction for possession of less than an ounce for personal use. "Dealing" or even "furnishing" for free to one's friends could be charged as a felony.
    Wise Law Group
    Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
    Technically, you could face charges for contributing toe the delinquency of your son, however it is most likely that law enforcement will pursue him for the simple possession of the marijuana. It also will depend on family criminal history, and what statement you our your son provided to investigating officers.
    Yes he will face criminal charges. Most of the time for a first offense it will be a slap on the wrist.