What if my daughter is willing to sign over rights but doesn't know who the child's father is? 13 Answers as of February 08, 2013

My daughter is willing for me to adopt my grandson. He's been living with me since he was born. She doesn't know who the father is. How do I go about doing that?

Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
If she truly does not know who the father is, then the father will be published as unknown in the newspaper. You need to talk to a family law attorney in your county about the adoption process.
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
It will likely be necessary to terminate the parental rights of "John Doe" in order to proceed with the adoption.
Robert Kubler | Robert Kubler
With an unknown father, a father who cannot be found, or a father unwilling to consent, then your attorney may need to get a Court order that the father's consent is not required. Your daughter surely knows her sexual partners and will need to contact them.
Well, you have a big issue to overcome as to the father problem, the courts are going to force her to give up some possible names of the father, for DNA testing, also this is not as simple as you try and make it sound, she can't just sign the child over to be adopted by you, this will take court involvement, and contains many complicated issues.
McGuire Law Offices | John Smitten
You have to do a full adoption which involves many elements, including a search of the putative father registry.
    In Colorado you can only pursue the adoption through the services of an adoption agency or the Department of Human Services. They will take the necessary steps to deal with the lack of information about the father is.
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
    The termination and adoption suit can be filed without knowing who the father is. There is a procedure to inquire whether anyone has registered as the father and a certificate from that agency should be filed with the suit.
    You can still file for adoption and in the adoption process seek to terminate parental rights.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    You need to file an action in court.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Find an attorney to help you do a private party adoption.
    Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
    You need to file a Petition for Adoption with Family Court and included in that packet will be a consent for your daughter to terminate her parental rights.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware