What if I share a credit card with my daughter? 2 Answers as of November 04, 2010

My daughter is 26 and uses a visa card linked to my account. We have been having a lot of financial trouble recently so she does not use it very often only for emergencies, but the card still has her name on it. I have about $100,000 in debt and I do not see myself paying it off anytime soon. If I file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy will my daughter be affected? She has her own home and lives in a different state.

Your filing bankruptcy will not change your daughters liability on the card. If she is liable on the card now, she will be liable on it after you file bankruptcy. Whether she is liable or not is a
matter of state contract law. My understanding is that if she is not a signatore to the cardholder agreement, and is merely an "authorized user", she is liable to YOU for the charges, but not to the credit card company. However, as I said this may vary from state to state and depend on contractual language, etc.
If she is a co signor on the account she will continue to be liable on the debt.