What if I disagree with the tax assessment of my property? 4 Answers as of November 06, 2010

I do not know when the last time my property was assessed but I think that the taxes on my home are outdated and do not reflect its current value. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II | Harry Gordon Oliver II
In California under Prop 13 your real property is assessed when acquired and when there is a change of ownership. So, unless you just acquired the property the assessed value is not the same as the fair market value.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/6/2010
Masson & Fatini, LLP
Masson & Fatini, LLP | Susan Fatini -Masson
If you disagree with the tax assessment on your property you should contact your county assessors office. Many county assessors require that you complete a short informal appraisal review form asking you to provide documentation supporting your belief that your assessed value is too high. For residential property, the best supporting documentation is sales of comparable properties. You might be able to obtain this information free from your county assessor's website, or from a local real estate agent.

The county assessors staff will then review this information and based upon the information you submitted they may agree with you. However, if there remains a difference of opinion of value, then you may appeal. The assessment appeal process provides for the equalization or the fairness of the assessment of a propertys value.

In California, the regular appeals filing period begins on July 2, 2010 and ends on either September 15th or November 30th depending on the county where the property is located.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/4/2010
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
Most states have assessment boards you can appeal your property tax assessment. The individuals on the board will determine based on evidence you submit such as an appraisal or property comps whether or not the assessment is accurate based on your property value.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 11/4/2010
Click to View More Answers: