What if I disagree with the tax assessment of my property? 4 Answers as of November 19, 2010

I think my property is over valued by the assessor and want to appeal the assessment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Masson & Fatini, LLP
Masson & Fatini, LLP | Susan Fatini -Masson
If you disagree with the tax assessment on your property you should contact your county assessors office. Many county assessors require that you complete a short informal appraisal review form asking you to provide documentation supporting your belief that your assessed value is too high. For residential property, the best supporting documentation is sales of comparable properties. You might be able to obtain this information free from your county assessor's website, or from a local real estate agent.

The county assessors staff will then review this information and based upon the information you submitted they may agree with you. However, if there remains a difference of opinion of value, then you may appeal. The assessment appeal process provides for the equalization or the fairness of the assessment of a propertys value.

In California, the regular appeals filing period begins on July 2, 2010 and ends on either September 15th or November 30th depending on the county where the property is located.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/19/2010
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
check with the tax assessor office in your county for procedures there are strict time limits to file a petition
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/18/2010
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
In most states, there is a board in your areas where you can appeal the assessment by providing a appraisal or comps on the property value.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 11/17/2010
Click to View More Answers: