What if I cannot afford DUI classes? 9 Answers as of May 11, 2011

I got a wet and reckless plea bargain and agreed to the monthly payments but when I went to enroll in the classes I just wasn't able to pay. The school does not accept payments and wanted the whole amount in cash up front. I'm 19 and have no job. I'm still paying for the fine and have made every payment on time to this date. I was informed that I have a bench warrant and don't know what to do. Can I still enroll now that I have the money? What will happen when I go back to court?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
You need to go back to the clerk of the court and make a request.
If court ordered to attend, and you fail to do so, it is a violation of probation, and, yes, there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and new Failure to Appear charges, and renegotiate any outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right.

Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. Go talk to your Public Defender, or ask for one when you go to court.
Set a court appearance and explain the problem. Ask for more time. Are there other programs. If you had an attorney, see him/her.
Go back to court take the enrollment proof with you. You should be OK. Good luck.
You should have set up a court date before went to a bench warrant for your not doing the classes. Most programs have sliding scales for the classes so I don't know what efforts you made to set up a payment plan. Get the matter on the court calendar immediately before you are arrested and explain the situation to the judge. If you don't do the classes you will never get your license back.
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
    Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
    First, it is never good to delay going back to Court because you have a bench warrant. You can be arrested at any time: your home, your job, or at school etc. Because you did not have the money for some time, you can argue that you did not have the ability to enroll in the DUI school, and get the OK to re-enroll in classes, & complete your Probation requirements. Go see an experienced attorney to help you get back into the good graces of the Court.
    No, you cannot re-enroll until the warrant is recalled and the Judge grants the re-enrollment. Consider having a lawyer go to court without you to recall the warrant, have the Judge reinstate probation, and grant the right to re-enroll. If you appear by yourself, you could be taken in custody with bail set.
    You have to go back to Court and ask for a re-referral. They are routinely granted.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You have to get your matter put on calendar in front of the judge. Explain to judge what happened and ask to be re-referred to the DUI school. You also need to get warrant recalled. You are in violation of the terms of your sentence. If you get caught driving you will spend time in jail and car will be impounded. An attorney would be very helpful with accomplishing this, as you do not want to blow this.