What if he uses religion to get out of divorce in California? 3 Answers as of November 01, 2010

My husband absolutely refuses to divorce me. We are Mormon. I am scared for myself too and what the community will think but this is something that needs to be done. If faced with complete refusal, does this make the divorce more costly and dangerous? I have not spoken with anybody about this issue yet.

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
In California, the parties do not have to agree to a divorce. If you want one, you file and ask for it. He can attempt to stall, but there are ways to ensure things move along to conclusion.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
In California, either party has equal right to pursue dissolution. His consent is not required and his religious beliefs do not hinder the civil aspects of divorce. Call my office if you are in Southern California.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
Yes, it will make the divorce more costly than one in which both parties can settle quickly, but you can still get divorced and he will not be able to stop it.